Monday, March 7, 2011

My Great Idea

I had one of the greatest ideas ever this weekend. Randy and I were working on assembling Kelsey’s old bunk bed down in the basement play room. Once that was finished, we were cleaning up and moving things around. I saw a DVD shelf we no longer are using against the wall and it hit me…the idea not the shelf.

For a few weeks I have been looking online for a food rotation system for canned foods. These shelves allow you to easily rotate your canned foods so that you are using the oldest cans first. Currently I have my extra cans in our basement “food closet” on a shelf, so when I would buy more I would have to put the older cans in the back and slide them all forward…this was not one of my favorite things to do.

I found some really nice shelves online, but they were more expensive than I was willing to pay. Then I found some cardboard ones that were reasonably priced but when I went to order them the shipping was outrageous, so I reconsidered that. Then I found instructions on how to make your own out of scrap cardboard boxes, and thought maybe one day I will do that.

Then came the DVD shelf. I works PERFECTLY to hold cans. I stacked the cans from with the oldest cans on the right and the newest on the left, and they easily slide left to right. For normal sized cans each shelf holds 18 cans. For the small cans tomato sauce or paste cans it probably holds at least 32. I now have the fanciest canned food holder ever!





This freed up tons of space on my shelf so I reorganized the rest of the food closet too. The canned food shelf is on the facing wall to this shelf.



And here are some pictures of the cleaned up play room. I am sure in a few days it will look again like the Lego store exploded in here, but for now it is nicely organized and cleaned up.





Of course I have a running list of things I want to organize in the house. Audrey suggested I figure out which room can be her "trophy room" as her trophies keep getting bigger. This weekend she won first place in her karate sparring tournament. She thinks this is the best looking trophy ever.







1 comment:

Carlia said...

excellent idea Marsha! way to go!
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" is one of our favorite quotes...and you just lived it!